March 1st Coyote

fratri

The dry spell is over

Well it’s been a crazy month with lots of wind, deep snow and loud (crunchy snow) walks in but it finally paid off this morning. I hit the farm at first light, I thought with all the cold temps we had lately the top of the snow would be frozen enough to support my weight but I was wrong. It seems every other step I would break through dropping down anywhere from 2-8” making a lot noise. I tried to use the snowmobile trails as much as possible but every time I needed to get off them I would fall through and you would hear a loud crunch, crunch, crunch sound…. Being hopeful, trying to keep that positive attitude despite the noise I was making, I set up. I setup my e-caller and decoy 40 yds away to my left and turn the ecaller and decoy on but keep my e-caller on mute, just need it for foxbang. I begin with my hand calls (dying rabbit) for about 15 mins nothing shows, so go to my ecaller play a few coyote vocals followed by pup distress and 15 more minutes go by with nothing showing so call the set. I make my way to the other end of the farm (500yds away) and as I near my setup a train in the distance (a few kms way) is coming through, I thought oh good it will help mask my crunch, crunch sound on the way in. I go as quickly as possible to setup my e-caller/decoy taking advantage of the noise of the train. I rush out and only set it up about 25 yds away, turn on the decoy and leave the call on mute. I wait for the train to finish passing, begin with a hand call dying rabbit sound for about 1 minute and then go silent for about 2 minutes… I grab another hand call and scream out as loud as I can for about a minute and go silent. I start thinking about some coyote vocals to try when I notice a coyotes head sticking up over the rise looking at my setup from about 150yds away. (the actual bush in the background is about 225 yds away but the rise in the middle of the field keeps me from seeing the actual field/bush edge completely) I gently lower my head onto the scope put the crosshairs on him and lip squeak her. She immediately begins coming into the decoy, she pauses at about 80 yds out, I lip squeak her again she continues anther 20 yds or so stops fixated on the decoy I take the 60 yd front chest shot. She spins once and begins to run; right away I notice the blood just pouring out of her. She makes it to the turn before the rise and drops.
It’s a good feeling finally getting another to come in for a shot after being shutout all the month of February… I hope you enjoy the story and pics…
The Setup

How it played out

The blood trail

The Prize

Last edited by a moderator:
thumbup.gif

Back